Unless you have been hiding under a rock, you may have noticed that social media platforms such as Instagram have well and truly taken over the internet. Despite its infancy when compared to other social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter, Instagram is now one of the largest platforms, with around 1 billion users in 2018!
In our two-part series for December, we are going to look at the best ways to become noticed on Instagram, and how you can build up a strong community of followers. So grab those makeup brushes, get your palettes ready and prepare yourself to get Instafamous!
I’m a Makeup Artist, Why Should I Bother with Instagram?
As you may imagine, with the potential to reach so many people, the site has become a fantastic place for makeup enthusiasts to share their passion with others, find likeminded people and new inspiration at the touch of a button (or phone screen)! In fact, statistics revealed that in 2016, influencers on Instagram accounted for a whopping 90% of cosmetic brand engagements, meaning that the possibilities for a talented and dedicated makeup artist are pretty phenomenal!
Despite the huge potential for those of us who love to express ourselves through the art of makeup, it is increasingly difficult to get noticed. Not only are you competing against millions of other users for the top spot, but the level of skill needed to stand out is at a higher level than ever before. A simple snap from your smartphone may no longer be enough to create the level of aesthetic needed to become ‘big’, with many of the most popular Instagram users opting for top of the range cameras to get the job done.
However, with that being said you can still really rock the boat and get yourself noticed by following our three C’s: Commitment, Consistency and Charisma. Let’s take a look at these points more carefully, shall we?
Dedication Is Key!
Whether you are still in your training or have been a seasoned makeup artist for years, if you’re not prepared to put time and effort into making your Instagram account a hit, then your audience will never become fully dedicated to watching you.
We follow a number of makeup artists over on Instagram, and one of the stand out features of those who have a large following is that the quality and effort they put in is clear from the off.
Influencers such as ohmygeeand samanthahelenmua who have amassed over half a million followers on Instagram between them offer regular, high quality images and videos that aren’t just about sharing makeup tips and new products, but also engaging and interacting with us, the audience.
Remember that if people are on your Instagram page they are there because just like you, they love makeup – so if you’re not putting in any real effort they will likely move on to another makeup artist that does.
Red Carpet FX Top Tips:
- Spend time every day to reply to your audience. People come to Instagram as it is one of the most effective ways to feel connected with an influencer. Making the effort to get to know people, and letting them get to know you will take you a long way!
- Don’t rush a photo or video. Remember that the quality of images used on many Instagram accounts now are extremely professional. If you are using an iPhone to take images then you want to make sure you are taking the extra time to finesse them and give them that professional touch.
- Decide whether you are committed to making your Instagram about makeup alone. This sounds like an obvious one, but many people who love makeup will pop up the odd image or tutorial video, amongst dozens of other unrelated content. For an audience this can become confusing when it comes to finding the type of content they are looking for; are you a makeup Instagram account? Is it a lifestyle account? Once you have decided on your niche and passion, ensuring you are dedicated and stick to this alone will help people find you much easier!
Fail To Prepare, Prepare To Fail!
We love an excuse to get out our organisers, and any Instagram influencer will tell you that preparation and consistency is key to success. Whether makeup is a passion or it’s the way you make a living, it is important to remain consistent when it comes to posting new content regularly.
Putting yourself in the shoes of the audience can be a great way to gain perspective on this point. We all have people we look up to for guidance or inspiration, that’s what makes influencers so popular on platforms such as Instagram. However there is no greater disappointment than finding that your favourite makeup influencer uploads irregularly, or promises to do something that they fail to do.
We would urge any makeup artist looking to make their mark on Instagram do so with commitment to the cause. Ultimately whatever your goals are, you want to come across as professional, so don’t be tempted to make grandiose promises, your audience will relate much more if you are honest and approachable.
Red Carpet FX Top Tips:
- Be realistic with your schedule. Figure out what you can feasibly get done each week, if it turns out to be more then great, if not at least you have done what you said you would do.
- We recommend that those looking to build a solid audience upload a new image or video 2 times a day. However, if you are busy and cannot commit to this level of uploading, choose three days a week where you will be present on your Instagram. An audience will recognise your patterns and thank you for the reliability!
Okay, we appreciate how terrifying it can be to put yourself out there into the world of the internet. Especially if makeup is new to you, but the important thing to bear in mind is that everyone starts off somewhere, and even the biggest Instagram makeup accounts once only had a small handful of followers.
Whilst social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter are often seen to be more corporate, Instagram has shot to popularity for its friendly, personable and visual simplicity. People go to Instagram to connect with other people through content, so being yourself and letting others see a bit of your personality will serve you well.
Some of the most popular makeup artists on Instagram can be seen making fun, playful and creative content that feels almost like you’re doing your makeup with a best friend. With this in mind it is important that you feel comfortable sharing your passion with others.
It can be all too easy to stick with safe looks when you’re putting yourself out there open to criticism; however having fun, being creative and being brave enough to be different will help people connect with you and your content more readily.
Red Carpet FX Top Tips:
- Social media is a great way not only to get yourself out there as a professional makeup artist, but it can be a wonderful way to interact with other likeminded people. Allowing some personality and charisma to shine through your content will help people relate to you easier.
- We would recommend allowing 15-30 minutes a day to reply to any comments you receive. An audience will not only appreciate your feedback, but regular responses will instil confidence in your followers that you are passionate and really, just like them!
- Don’t be afraid to be different! There are hundreds of makeup artists across Instagram, and like you they want to stand out and be recognised. Being bold and fun with your looks will help you stand out against the crowd.
Taking It to The Next Level . . .
We hope that part one of our guide to becoming a successful makeup artist on Instagram has been useful, and that you have found a few nuggets of information to take away with you. If you are already established on the platform, or just want to learn more about growing your audience stick around for part two where we will be discussing all things hashtags!