Happy New Year! Okay, we are a bit late, but 2019 is finally here and we are thrilled to be kicking off the year with a two-part series all about refreshing your makeup look and doing that all-important cosmetic clear-out!
We all love a good new years resolution, and January can be as good a time as any to purge those expired makeup items and play around with different styles. However, whether you are reading this fresh off the press or it’s the middle of the year and you are still debating which mascara you should bin, you can still benefit from todays tips!
In this two-part series, we are going to be sharing our favourite tips for refreshing your makeup look, how you can banish that neon blue Eyeshadow you are keeping, “just in case”, and how you can organise your makeup for a brand new year!
So, let’s jump straight into it, shall we?
Why Now? Should You Really Be Thinking Of Changing Your Makeup?
Before we get on to our five top tips, let’s first address what you’re probably all thinking- why now?? January is full of hope, promise and the desire for change, whether big or small. Although it isn’t necessary to wait for the New Year to come around before changing things up, it can be a great way of motivating yourself to make those changes you have been thinking about for months.
We have all shared that feeling of satisfaction and pride when the perfect makeup look that is to become our everyday, go-to getup is created. However, as the seasons change and trends come and go, it can be great to experiment with something new and keep things current.
And besides, who doesn’t love an excuse to play around with makeup?!
Red Carpet FX’s Top Tips For Changing Up Your Makeup Look
December is often an expensive time of the year for many of us, but changing your makeup up look doesn’t have to break the bank! Below are five of our thrifty tips on refreshing your look without spending a fortune.
TIP ONE: FIND YOUR STAPLES
Ever gone to do your makeup and been taken aback by the sheer volume of products you possess? It sounds silly, but makeup is one of those things that can creep up without us really noticing, a new lipstick here, a new Eyeshadow palette there. Before you know it you are wondering how you ever got here as you frantically try to hide your 7th nude lipstick behind your mountain of cosmetics.
This is something we are probably all guilty of, and it will be something we touch on more in the second part of our series when we look at tackling that overflowing makeup collection. The take home message here is that having a couple of makeup staples in every category can not only help you save money, but it can also encourage you to experiment more with the makeup you love the most.
Basically, if you love makeup as much as we do, then selecting some great staples will not only help you in the purging process, but can also help you find a whole new look!
Red Carpet FX Recommends
- Opting for a high quality Eyeshadow palette that includes both neutrals and bolder shades will help you in not only minimising your collection, but will encourage you to explore more. We advise one staple Eyeshadow palette from which you can create a variety of looks for every season. Ensure your staple palette includes both matte and shimmer shades for day to night looks!
- Keeping your base the same with your trusted makeup items is perfectly fine, remember that we’re not looking to change everything entirely. Stick to the foundation and skincare you can rely on if this is what you would prefer, and instead opt to switch out some of the other products you use for something new.
- We recommend 2-3 items of each makeup category in your staple essentials kit. Overcrowding your staples will make getting ready a longer and more arduous process.
TIP TWO: DON’T BE AFRAID TO STEP OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE
If you have been using makeup for a long time, it can be a challenge to step away from what you know and love, but doing so can be one of the easiest ways to completely revitalise your look.
There is no better feeling that receiving a compliment on something you have tried for the first time. Whether it is a new outfit, something you’ve done differently with your hair or a brand new lipstick, changing something can be all it takes to change your look entirely.
We would always recommend that you try and swap out, or introduce something new to your makeup look every once in a while. It could be something as little as filling in your eyebrows in a different shade, or swapping your glossy lip for a matte one, and it is an affordable way to make a big impact.
Red Carpet FX Recommends
- If you are a neutral shades type of person, why not try a pop of colour? Using a good quality navy blue eye pencil can be a really effective, yet subtle way of brightening up your eyes for a more sophisticated and unique look.
- Not quite ready to step away from your beloved red lipstick? Adding in a lip liner can create a more precise and professional look, and is more noticeable than you would think! Adding a lip liner to any colour lip can make for a striking difference with minimal effort.
- Swap your winged eyeliner for a subtler smokey eye using your Eyeshadow palette. Eyeliner can sometimes make for a harsh look, opting for a softer line of shadow can soften your eye look for daytime use and can open up your eyes more too!
- Never highlighted? Experiment with different shades of highlight for a bit of a dewy affect, perfect for when you don’t want to bother with a full face of makeup!
TIP THREE: REVISE YOUR SKINCARE
One of the most surprising yet effective ways to change up your makeup look is by looking more closely at your skincare. Whether you have dry or oily skin, are prone to breakouts or struggle with sensitivity and dry patches, our skin can have a huge impact on the way out makeup not only applies but also how the finished look comes out.
If you haven’t changed anything in your skincare for some time, and are finding your once favourite makeup look is now looking a little dull and aged, why not have a look at what you can change? Sometimes something as simple as adding in a serum before bed can make your face smoother and your makeup look brighter and more flawless than ever before.
Red Carpet FX Recommends:
- If you have the opportunity, having your skin type identified by a professional can help you tailor your skincare as well as the type of makeup you should be using for an overall better finished look.
- Using a facemask once or twice a week can make all the difference when it comes to applying makeup! Usually a good facemask will show its results almost immediately, and can help makeup apply and stay on better.
- We adore makeup, but giving your skin a break once or twice a week and really letting it ‘breath’ will help you on those days when you want to go all out!
TIP FOUR: GO AU NATUREL
A look that has trended on and off over the years, but continues to make its way back into popular demand is the natural look. We’re talking about the likes of Keira Knightly and Nicole Kidman, whose makeup can often be described as minimalist but yet always looks flawless.
There is something great about stripping things back to the basics with a solid skincare routine, a simple base makeup and some soft brown tones to subtly yet effectively accentuate those favourite features.
If you are looking for a way to refresh your makeup look, why not try playing around with some simple looks to see how you get on?
Red Carpet FX Recommends:
- If you are opting for the barely there look, going for a warm brown toned Eyeshadow palette for a subtle smokey eye can be a great way to add a little something extra to your look that isn’t too over the top.
- The natural look is all about the brows – great brows can create a completed look with minimal effort in any other aspect. Experiment with thicker, messy brows, or try out a tidier look and see what works for you.
- Try going for a clear lip with a good moisturising balm instead of a pigmented shade. This can contrast nicely with a bold brow and subtle smokey eye.
TIP FIVE: IT’S ALL IN THE LIPS
If you are constantly on the go it can be really hard to even think about changing up your makeup routine! An easy, thrifty and quick way to completely revamp your look is by changing your lip product – and its more effective than you think!
Whether you are going from nude lipsticks to a bold gloss, or fancy a matte effect, playing around with your lip can change a look from day to night, from laid back to ready to party – and it really is that simple!
Red Carpet FX Recommends:
- Using all of our previous tips rolled into one, we would advise stepping out of your comfort zone when it comes to your go-to lip product. If you usually go for a basic nude lipstick, why not try a red gloss, or even a darker nude? It doesn’t need to be a bold change at the start, but even the smallest adjustments can make all the difference.
- Lip liner is a great way to change a lip from day to evening. Creating a more precise line can help enhance your overall look flawlessly.
- Fancy getting creative? Why not try an ombre lip, with the shade going lighter in the centre of the lips and darker around the outer edges. This can be done easily and can create a fuller looking lip in no time at all!
Final Thoughts: Out With The Old And In With The New
Change isn’t for everyone, but most people we talk to love to switch up their makeup routines every once in a while. If you are looking for a boost of confidence, motivation or simply want to experiment with makeup, why not give some of our tips a try and let us know in the comments how you got on!
Stick around for part two of our series, where we will be getting rid of unnecessary and out-dated products and sharing our tips for a more minimalist approach to all things makeup!